Thursday, September 24, 2009

Greenlings: Should I switch to straight veggie oil? What is holding SVO back?


Filed under: Biodiesel, Vegetable Oil, AutoblogGreen Exclusive, Greenlings





We like to answer reader questions with our Greenlings series whenever possible, and thought that Timothy H. had a good topic. He sent in the following question/suggestion about straight vegetable oil (SVO):


I have seen several articles dealing specifically with SVO, but not as it concerns the economic viability compared to petro-diesel. I mean there are articles out there, but I'm interested in knowing why I should/should not use SVO in my car, what benefits I have to look forward to, what problems people have had from using it, etc. Is it really as simple as heading to a Chinese restaurant and heckling $5 for a 50 gallon jug of WVO, then filtering the oil before it goes in the tank? If it isn't that easy, what is making it hard? Why are so few people making the jump if the conversion can pay itself off in two to three years?

We've got the answers for him - and everyone else who's interested - after the jump.



[Image: ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images]


Continue reading Greenlings: Should I switch to straight veggie oil? What is holding SVO back?

Greenlings: Should I switch to straight veggie oil? What is holding SVO back? originally appeared on Autoblog Green on Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Simran

0 comments on "Greenlings: Should I switch to straight veggie oil? What is holding SVO back?"

Add your comment. Please don't spam!
Subscribe in a Reader
:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))

Post a Comment

 

Auto Blog Trends | Copyright © 2009 | Original Design By Deluxe Themes | Converted To Blogger By Technolizard